All Posts Are by Mark

You may see "posted by JMS". That is the blogmaster doing some maintenance. All the Posts are written by Mark.

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

The Social Network -- Rating: 7

The Social Network bytes.....

I give it a 7 rating because, with all the talent involved from directing to acting to screenwriting it couldn't help but be impressive at least in spots.  But overall it just ended up leaving me cold.

The opening scene was the best of the film, a Tarantino-esque dialogue between the Facebook founder (played wonderfully by Jessie Eisenberg) and his girlfriend who's about to dump him.  After that, the film is just too busy.  The Aaron Sorkin (West Wing) written fast paced dialogue combined with loud, frenetic scenes just makes it too much work.  I get it, all very atmospheric, but the many loud, frenetic college party scenes did nothing for me.

I never got the feeling of "oh wow, this is cool how this little invention just exploded". 

Too fragmented, too many superfluous scenes.

I'm defriending this film.

1 comment:

  1. Good. I don't have to see it. I kind of cringed at the thought of seeing it as I assumed it was essentially the glorification of yet another asshole exploiter of people and resources who gets sums of money completely immoral. Maybe that is not how it is done but you give plenty of other reasons to skip it. Wonder why it is getting such positive press.

    ReplyDelete